Sunday, January 20, 2008

Reading...

When Jasmine was right around 3yrs she started sitting down with her sister's chapter books and pretending to read. Then she would bring the book over to me, pointing to a word, and ask "what word is this"? She would do this over and over again.

So I'm like hmm.... I think she may be able to start learning to read.

I decided to purchase Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. And Guess What? She started reading at 3 1/2! We're on lesson 30 something right now, I believe. We actually had to put the book down for awhile, before she was reading. She would sound out the words for me, but she couldn't hear what it was that she was saying. It just wasn't clicking. We waited a few months and tried again and it clicked. Now she has also started reading Bob Books and working on Explode the Code book 1 (ETC). Right now I don't have her writing the words in ETC. She would just get frustrated if she had to do all the writing. Our main goal right now is reading.

We don't work on this stuff every day. Just when she's in the mood for it. Either she tells me she wants to do it. Or I ask if she wants to. If she says no, I simply so 'ok'.

No comments: