Sunday, January 20, 2008

Math already?

The only thing I can say is that Jasmine is my little school nerd! he he *grins* Shhh, don't tell her.

She has been requesting a math program just like Lily's. So for Christmas guess what she got. Yep, a math program. How did you know? Hmm. =o)

Ok, I got her Saxon Math K. I had read about how a lot of people use it for preschool instead of kindergarten so I figured we would give it a shot. It's really hands-on. Lots of manipulatives, pattern blocks, linking cubes, teddy bear counters, a scale and things like that.

We sat down to do our first lesson Jan. 1st and she ended up doing 3 lessons at that time. The beginning ones are so easy. Like counting to 5, playing with pattern blocks...she's been doing both for over a year now. So we have actually sat down for math on 5 different occasions and we are already up to lesson 16. I don't know if she'll do that for much longer though. Pretty soon she'll come across stuff that she doesn't yet know and that may slow her down.

The only part that's hard for her right now is snapping the multi-link cubes together. They're hard. So one evening I just sat down and popped them together and apart, together and apart. It has helped a little bit. So I know they'll get easier to use over time. Right now, I'll just continue helping her 'snap' them together.

No comments: